Substance Abuse Treatment Centers Accepting Self Payment
There are many substance abuse treatment centers across the country that accept self-payment from patients. This does not mean that they are all expensive; on the contrary, most are incredibly affordable and even offer payment options on a sliding fee scale. Depending on the facility you choose and your own financial situation, substance abuse treatment centers accepting self payment can be just what you are looking for.
Self Payment and Payment Assistance
SAMHSA states that most substance abuse treatment facilities provide some type of payment assistance, whether it is by allowing patients to pay on a sliding fee scale or by giving patients treatment that is at least partially free of cost. According to their data
- 4.0% of facilities are completely free
- 37.8% are partial free with a sliding fee scale
- 10.5% are partial free without a sliding fee scale
- 24.0% are no free with a sliding fee scale
- 23.7% are no free without a sliding fee scale
The final group makes up the more expensive facilities where individuals are often not expected to pay out of pocket unless they can especially afford it. Most self-payment substance abuse treatment centers and programs do give patients some sort of payment assistance when it comes to self-payment. This option
- Helps many individuals who normally wouldn’t be able to afford treatment at higher costs be able to receive the help they need
- Keep patients from spending all of their money on treatment which can be very detrimental (especially because many drug addicted individuals often get into debt as a result of their drug abuse)
- Leaves free treatment facilities available to those who really need them and allows those who can pay the opportunity to do so, at the price that is feasible for them
How to Find Self Payment Facilities
According to SAMHSA, “Most substance abuse treatment facilities reported that they accepted cash or self-payment as a form of payment for substance abuse treatment; this remained stable at about 90 percent between 2006 and 2011.” This makes it relatively easy to find treatment centers that will accept self-payment from patients.
- Search treatment center databases like Freerehabcenter.com‘s. There will be information about the facility as well as how to contact the center and ask questions.
- Be sure to ask:
- What the usual payment amount is
- What methods of self-payment the facility accepts
- If there is some available sliding fee scale for payment
- Make sure to check with your doctor if you are choosing a local facility, and ask if there is available information on the center itself.
- If it is an inpatient center especially, make sure you tour the grounds or visit the facility before you sign up for treatment there.
Most substance abuse treatment centers provide self-payment options, and many will be flexible on setting up a payment scale that fits your needs. After all, the patient’s needs must be met in order for treatment to be successful. Looking for centers that accept self-payment and have reasonable fees should not be difficult if you spend a little time doing your research.